It is what it is

My photo
Colorado Springs, CO, United States
If there isn't a God, nothing matters; If there is a God, nothing else matters...

Monday, July 13, 2009

Pious jerk

Today, Ethan and I went over to the park to play before it was time to take a nap. Ethan loves the swing, so of course we spent a fair amount of time swinging. We sat there swinging for a long time. We watched a dozen boys and girls of various ages running around playing tag. The social network of kids is awesome. I could have watched them engage with each other all day. It's truly fascinating.
As we were swinging, a dad and his two year girl came over to the swing next to us. For those of you who know me well, you know I like to get into my little zone and not be bothered. This guy didn't want to uphold the man code of "the nod and acknowledge then go about your own business" rule. He started asking me a lot of questions. Where you from, how old's your boy, yada, yada, yada. It wasn't until he told me what he does for a living that I showed some reasonable interest in him. He came from Nebraska to Colorado Springs to set up a missionary network specializing in children's ministry. Religion, the only reason I warmed up to him is because he's religious.
I'm not exactly thrilled with how I acted with this guy, in fact I think I acted like a complete pious jerk. I could have spent some time with him and really gotten to know his outreach and his heart. But I wasn't interested because he interrupted me. And when we finally did start having a conversation about religion, everything I said sounded judgmental and pious. I never even introduced myself or caught his name.
Just a daily reminder that I'm not perfect. I'm selfish, I'm a pious jerk, I'm judgmental, I'm arrogant, I'm boastful, I'm greedy, I'm inconsiderate, I'm a sinner. This is the true condition of my heart. When the light exposes the darkness, this is what becomes visible.
Jesus' death paid for sin, and Jesus rose again conquering death. I no longer have to be conquered by ugliness and death (death, physical and emotional). I can repent and turn my heart to Jesus, and know that all things can be done in Christ. That is comfort, that is joy, that is peace, that is daily sanctification. I am righteous because of the grace of God, not because of my actions, my thoughts, or my desires.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When will we hear from Mike again?