It is what it is

My photo
Colorado Springs, CO, United States
If there isn't a God, nothing matters; If there is a God, nothing else matters...

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Creating God

A really good friend of mine went and spoke with his pastor today, because he has been so down-and-out due to circumstances that have happened in his life lately. I’ll spare the details for the sake of my friend’s privacy, but the conversation he had with his pastor really opened my eyes. In essence his pastor told him to quit being the victim and start being grateful for what he does have. (I’m sorry this may not make a lot of sense, but I really shouldn’t share more of his story).
It got me thinking: What makes us think we deserve so much more than what we have been given? What makes ME think I deserve so much more than what I have been given? A quote I commonly refer to from the audio CD’s in my Starting Point class has been stirring in me again:
“Essentially this is what your problem boils down to: You think to yourself, if there were a God here is what He would look like. But since the way I have decided God would look like doesn’t match up with current reality, then God obviously must not be there. You have decided what God could and would be like if there were a God. You have created a God in your mind, but since there is no evidence of that God anywhere, you have come to the conclusion that God does not exist.

No comments: