It is what it is

My photo
Colorado Springs, CO, United States
If there isn't a God, nothing matters; If there is a God, nothing else matters...

Friday, June 13, 2008

Florida trip

We just got back from our Florida trip. We traveled to the distant land of Florida to watch my baby sister get married. It was awesome! I am SO happy for her. She was absolutely a beautiful, glowing bride (minus the whole bridezilla thing before the wedding). I can’t believe she’s married, but she picked the right man. Her husband is an awesome guy. We got to connect a little bit before the wedding and I’m so impressed with the size of his heart. I find myself a little jealous of where they are at and all the new and exciting things they are experiencing.

The rest of the vacation, however, was exhausting. Traveling with a 6-month-old infant is a very challenging adventure. We hardly slept and found ourselves easily irritated. It was trying to say the least. All and all though we did get to have some fun and spend some time with family.

A couple of things really sunk home for me on this trip. One of them happened during the wedding ceremony. Pastor Mike made a simple statement that put marriage in perspective. He said "marriage is not picking the right mate, but being the right mate." Implying that marriage isn’t about sitting back and being waited on, but it is instead an act of service. Marriage is supposed to be about me serving my wife, not me imposing thick expectations on her. The second thing that happened was a late night religious debate between my dad, my uncle and myself. During this debate, the question was asked of me “do you think your better me.” Implying that at some point during the debate I came off as a know it all. This is not how I want to be heard at all. It breaks my heart that all their past short comings with the church are taken out on me because of my religious beliefs. What stirs me about this is, is that the whole trip they were ripping on Christians. Acting as if they are so much better than me. I don’t get it. And they say Christians are hypocrites?

No comments: