It is what it is

My photo
Colorado Springs, CO, United States
If there isn't a God, nothing matters; If there is a God, nothing else matters...

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Got purpose?

So people around our church have been wearing shirts that say "got purpose" on them. Don't worry I'm not philosophizing on the statement of these shirts. I honestly don't even know what the shirts represent. I did think that it made for a clever title though, so I just wanted to give credit where credit is due.

In talking with my buddy tonight, we discussed being "faithful" and that in being faith-full God can provide a sense of peace in our hearts no matter what we do for a living. If our identity is found in work, than work can easily become a determining factor for joy in our lives. However, if our identity is found in Jesus, than we can find peace and joy in our lives, regardless of whatever job we have at the time. I find this interesting, here's why. My job has been a source of bitterness in my heart directed toward God.

I don't hate my job, in fact I'm really good at what I do. I'm good enough at what I do that it can be consuming. I love my job at times, because of the pleasures of knowing a job was well done. I am good at operations, I'm really good at making a operation/system work. I have been apart of some pretty cool things in my career. However, I would consider my job to be a faith-less job. Not that faith and my work don't or can't mix together. Not that I can't be Christian at my work place. It's just that I think my job or our company has no greater purpose than money.

Now I know, that God is a big God. I know that in my career I have probably affected countless lives of customers and colleagues for the glory of God, many of which I'll never know or understand. But my argument for a faith-less career is not in the relationships around me, but in the job itself. My job is faith-less. In the big picture, it's just day-to-day activities that are focused on money. Here's my point: I have been angry at God because I have not been able to use my operations skills (the way I am wired and created) for a greater purpose than retail operations. I feel like I should be using my skills for a greater purpose. So I have been pridefully bitter. What a waste of trust and emotion. I am wrong.

No comments: