It is what it is

My photo
Colorado Springs, CO, United States
If there isn't a God, nothing matters; If there is a God, nothing else matters...

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Death while running

OK, so I have been playing tug of war with myself over the last week or so. I recently heard in the news a man died after completing the New City Marathon. Then I get my monthly Runners World magazine, and low and behold, it has an article about the likely hood of dying during or after races. From what I understand, runners have an elevated chance of a heart attack during the run. But after the run is over, runners stand a better chance of not suffering a heart attack. I guess the chance of dying is something like 1 in 75,000 runners. So, I know the likelihood is pretty slim, but still, this information has totally deflated me. I used to see a hill and wonder if I could take it, now I see a hill and wonder if I'd live. I don't know how to get this out of my head. Thursday morning I went out for a 10 mile run and felt like I was carrying a 50 pound weight on my shoulders. My anxiety really makes it hard for me not to worry about stuff like this, I now worry about every little cramp and pain I feel. However if I honestly looked at it, I am probably more likely to get hit riding my bike to and from work. Running actually is better for me because it keeps me fit and helps with cholesterol, and blood pressure. So I guess it just becomes a choose. Which do I do? Do I run strong and laugh at death, or do I tip toe around it and hope other tragedies don't get me in life? I think I'll grab this one by the horns and go out running...

No comments: